This post contains affiliate links. If you purchase anything through the links, I will get a small referral commission and you'll be supporting me and my blog at no extra cost to you! Can I hear another yay! So, thank you :) It's a win-win!
Last post on the blog we spoke about girls who have a little extra frosting. Most girls like this aren't really fond of the extra "stuff" they carry around. But do you know what kind of extra "stuff" ALL girls like? Money. I don't mean to sound superficial or money-hungry, but a little bit of that green stuff can definitely be helpful ;)
If you're like me, you don't have that. All I have are empty pockets. Deep, dark black holes in the universe of my closet. For once, I'd like to actually fill those black holes with some beautiful radiant light that will put a smile on my face...
Okay, so money isn't really everything - family, friends, health... those are priorities. But a little bit of cash in your pockets definitely wouldn't hurt. Most important things in life can't be bought, but sometimes the things that can be bought make life a little sweeter. That's why I'm going to help you get a little bit of cash back in your wallet.
We'll start with jobs. If you're reading this and you're in your teens or twenties and already have a job, you know exactly what I'm talking about. But if you're a tween, teen still in school or just want additional income aside from your paycheck, here are a few ideas for you:
2. Photography - practice with your American Girl dolls, food or other small items you have around. You can find many helpful tips and tutorials online. Build a portfolio and show it to your friends and relatives as well as displaying it online. Since you didn't take a professional course for photography, you can charge a lower price and you will earn more clients if you show quality work. Quality is key. (You can check out my photography page for some inspiration ;) )
3. Bake - Yup! I do this too :) Bake from the comfort of your own home and sell it. People love homemade goodies and many busy moms don't have time to bake. If you like your kitchen and love chocolate and sprinkles, go for it!
4. Cook - Similar to the baking idea, you can also cook meals for families. Sometimes moms are even busier than ever with appointments and parent-teacher conferences and would love for a homemade meal that they don't have to cook. This is also great for new moms. A little bundle of joy definitely brings happiness to families but meals will definitely take a bit off of the stress.
5. Give a class - Do you know how to do something really well? You can give classes to young kids (or adults if you're comfortable doing so). Think piano, violin, painting, math, a second language... If you're not comfortable giving lessons in person, think about uploading videos on Youtube and monetizing them.
6. Start a blog - (If you're a minor, you will need an adult guardian for supervision.) Love fashion? Enjoy DIYs? Blog about it! How does that bring in money? You can advertise other brands and products and earn what's called a commission - payment for getting people to buy a product. This is called affiliate marketing. You can learn more here. You can literally blog about anything - that's what we call your "niche" in blogland. Basically what this is is you choose a topic - any topic! Write about it (pictures help tremendously!) and put ads for brands on your website. When someone visits your blog, clicks an ad link and buys something, you get some credit! Cool, no? ;)
7. Clean your room - What?! How will that make you money? Simple. Go through your closet and drawers and whatever you want to get rid of, sell! Make sure it's in good enough condition. You can either sell them on ebay, in a garage sale, or bring them to a thrift shop or consignment shop. See the few extra bucks ringing in!
8. Show your talent - If you're brave enough, try a talent competition (with adult permission if you're a minor). Sing, dance, flip... You can even do archery, perform magic tricks, tell jokes, or well, pretty much anything! You choose. Even if you don't win, if you're good you might just get some phone calls to perform at some gigs :)
Another way to earn extra money is - get this - by taking surveys, shopping and more! Yup! I do this and it's great! Companies pay you to take surveys and some companies even pay you for doing what you already do on the internet - shopping! Here's a few favorites:
1. Swagbucks - This is my #1 favorite money-maker. No, it's not a get rich quick thing, but in just 3 years I earned over $600 in gift cards! And of course, you can earn more if you spend more time with this website and it also depends on how much you shop (which I don't do a ton of). The more you shop online already, the more you earn in rewards. You can redeem your points for gift cards - and they offer a wide variety at that. One option is a PayPal gift card, so in essence, you can redeem your points for a PayPal gift card and transfer your PayPal funds into your bank account. There are also gift cards to Amazon, Gap, Visa, Walmart, Target, Ebay, iTunes, Dunkin Donuts and so much more! I give Swagbucks an A+++! :) So sign up (I get a bonus if you do ;) And if you refer your friends, you'll earn a bonus, too!) Click here to get started!
3. InboxDollars - Yup! There's another good survey site :) A little more like Swagbucks, but of the two I think I might prefer Swagbucks just because of the interface, shopping experience and the variety of rewards options. But this one is also amazing! Sign up here.